>Formerly Friends of Dressage at Hickstead
Friends of Dressage at Hickstead has now been in existence for over 16 years. It was set up as the supporters’ club exclusively for the two annual premier Dressage at Hickstead events. It aims to offer regular dressage aficionados a package of benefits to reward their support for the Sussex home of Dressage, thereby raising funds towards the continuing programme of events at the venue.
Early membership numbers fluctuated from 60 or so in the beginning, to 100 through the period 1999 to 2002, until at the end of 2002 it was around 125. The majority of members came from the southern home counties, with a predominance from Sussex and Kent – as might be expected. However, there were, and are, members as far afield as Scotland and Devon.
In 2003 membership hit a peak with the attractions of the European Championships. Not surprisingly the value for money of a season ticket that covered entry, parking and a Grandstand seat for a very reasonable special price of £40, proved highly successful and the cut-off of 250 memberships was reached in advance of that show.
Boosted by that championship, membership has since increased and has remained stable at around 150 per annum. Subscription levels have been kept as low as is possible, reaching the current £45 level two years ago. We estimate that, with natural fall-out and additions, some 400 people have at one time or another been members.
Friends who actively participate in Dressage events have been able to use their membership to benefit from the discount available on entries to Dressage at Hickstead’s unaffiliated competitions. Both members and non-members have given memberships to others as Christmas or general presents.
Our thanks go out to the Bolney Stage who have sponsored us for this year with their 15% discount at The Bolney Stage Pub in Bolney,this discount runs to April with your 2015 card. One card will cover a whole table to be eligible for the discount (terms and conditions may apply).
2016 membership cards will be sent out in March 2016.
The benefits are now well established and include:
- three newsletters per year (roughly February/March, June and October/November) notifying items of interest and keeping you up-to-date with progress towards the two National and International Dressage at Hickstead shows
- car parking, dressage show-ground and dressage grandstand access at the Premier League Show in June and the International show in July
- options to purchase additional Friends’ memberships at beneficial prices for your use, or family use, or as gifts for others
- As above plus reductions on entry fees for the Dressage at Hickstead Unaffiliated and Affiliated (excluding Premier League and International) events during the 2016 season.
- Training days will be announced in 2016.
You can click on the Newsletter Tab to download a .pdf version of the latest newsletter. The December letter will include the membership application form for 2015 on the final page.
If you would like to join Friends click below for Newsletter December 2016